Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Prolific like Picasso

Went to the Picasso exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum today and go the best tour from this little old lady.  She told us tales of Picasso's many lovers and offered up copious context to frame his paintings with.  Art is not simply decor.  It is in fact a moment.  With context removed it is easy to see a piece as simply hanging on the wall; not rooted in conflict or controversy.  As an artist I feel that removing context reduces the art.  That is not to say that some art is merely art for arts sake.  Obviously we cannot all grasp the reality of every artist at every moment they are creating.  As nice as ignorance is, I found it illuminating to hear our docent connect the dots in Picasso's life as it helped me understand his extremely large body of work (some say he created over 50,000 pieces before he died at the age of 91).

Someday I hope someone will care so much about the times we are in now and the art that is being created in the present.

I try to write something every day just like a painter does hundreds of studies before embarking on a masterpiece.  I try to take five photos, write a poem (force a haiku at the least).  So here I am forcing art upon you...may profundity abound!

I intend to be
prolific like Picasso
unless I die young


...more on that later

1 comment:

  1. I dont know much about art, but I like Picasso! It is so cool to see how his paintings change as he goes through different eras.

    ReplyDelete