Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Just a Haiku?

As some of my friends know, I try to write everyday. Sometimes when I'm stuck I just write a haiku. The Japanese poem is a beautifully short, often spontaneous (for me) manifestation of creativity. At poetry readings I often start with one just to break the ice. When I feel uninspired I write one just to force myself to write. So simple: five, seven, five. Try it sometime...

You said to me once:
"The wind is but a whisper,
desire is loud."

Now perhaps a story if you're willing to follow...

You said in a winded whisper that "desire is louder," but I never believed until you screamed. As it is, it was wonderful but I should have asked more. But your heavy breath kept me silent for then. Then I was tired and the questions fell out of my head like "I love you" fell out of my mouth. Somedays passionate words fall out of style. Somedays they are all we have. Someday you will see me in a different light and know what I knew then was really true.

In such a short time we fall so far to places we only can feel without really understanding. I knew it the first time you kissed me without trying. When you were drawn to me despite my insolence. Despite my vain efforts to deny your company you knew I was faking; and as hard as you tried you couldn't, and that got to you and you had to be drawn to me and kiss my face and pretend for a minute to at least like me. And when we got beneath the stars and saw them shooting accross the sky we realized that we too, like the stars, could change direction. That's when I learned that you liked to be held close; like a candle in the dark; to your own face. Even if the light doesn't lend itself to your sights, it lends itself to you. So what if I burned you. You must have leaned in too far. I am never that bright, but I suppose I could burn. So you carry that scar like any other one you might have covered beneath your clothing, unrevealed, like you don't know you have it. I wish I could pretend half as well.

Now you're gone, thinking I've left you. Now you've only got the memory of lame cliches and other romantic tactics tacked onto my persona: like you know me. Like you think I use them all the time. You wish I did for your own sanity. But you forget I'm crazy and you forget for a moment that you like that about me. I wish you'd forget that we kissed in public that I held your hand that this night even ever existed that you had a "delete" key somewhere hidden within your mind. But that's what I'm in it for: your mind. Your wit your sarcasm your intelligence. I know it's there, I was immensly attracted to it, to you. But you nearly denied me. If only you were half as witty as I am ;)

So inpiration comes in different forms, in different ways. I wish I was as easy as a greek with a virgin muse. Unfortuneatly I need something more. Some kind of cosmic connection (what bullshit). Some kind of reality (however fake). Some kind of feeling (more than just warm skin). You think you can give me nothing but I take everything. You took it too, if only you'd realize this.

Twenty years and we'll see where life takes us. It will take me away before you can find you. That is some sort of weak gaurantee like, "dinner sometime this week," like, "I'll back you up," like, " I love you," even though it shouldn't be.

Is that weird that I just wrote that whole bit while listening to Rage Against the Machine? I might be a romantic but I still love me some good ol rock and roll...

Sean

ps- check it: this shit goes out to Kyle Baines, Mikel Bock, and Charles-Antoine Vallieres among others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJw4oUmK8SA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njf578br-PU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI677jYfKz0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsN3nptiz3M&feature=related

A little bit of Rage is only healthy. "Hungry people don't stay hungry for long"

No comments:

Post a Comment