Monday, August 31, 2009

Montevideo, Uruguay

I do not know why, but I never once in my life had the urge to visit Uruguay. Its definitly a country that has flown under the radar for a while. Even having studied Latin American Studies, Uruguay; a country that prides itself on having one of the highest standards of living on the continent; I heard relatively little about the actual place. This probably has to do with its brawny neighbors, Argentina to the South and mighty Brazil to the North. Uruguay lies squished between the two, a land of open space and the sea.

The main city here is Montevideo, the capital and premier port. Its inhabitants are not as fiercly proud of their city as porteƱos, but this is actually kind of relieving. Compared to Buenos Aires, Montevideo is much smaller, the people much warmer, and the general vibes- mucho mas tranquilo (chiller). For example: last night we went to a random house party. Two nights ago we went down to a street party in front of the American Embassy on the fantastic beach walk. There were thousands of people in the streets of Montevideo even at 12am as we left the hostel to dance. I mean, grandmas, kids, kissing couples, doggies, babies, todo el mundo. The dance party was at a plaza built for roller skating though in our company the thrashers had taken over, skating in and out of eachother and making that beautiful noise that only skates make. Dance started around 2am and went til 7am. Thats the south american way. Gotta love it.

So ya, anyhow, met these rad dudes and ended up at the house party last night. This was a whole nother kind of partay. Four bands a couple of DJ's and a bunch of people I loved talking to. I love being able to speak Spanish. To be able to open up to that other world that most travellers down here don't experience. I literally parted ways with my beautiful friends and made new ones, dancing like a maniac to some of the dopest reggae I'd heard in months. Seriously it was crazy, I was the only person dancing by myself for a while until some others finally found it necessary to move themselves. Music, the great communicator. THEY PLAYED SUBLIME, by the way. These kids were the shit, if only they had danced harder, haha. I ended up leaving early around 1am or so, heading back to the hostel with the homies. Thanks to Sebastian, if you ever read this shit, for throwing one of the sickest house parties ever.

And just when I thought this world was wearing off on me I found a number of things I think I should stop taking for granted: dancing, beautiful women, and human kindnes. These strangers invited us to their sick house party full of music and love and more. I am amazed by the energy in this city. So full of culture and life and friendly folk. While Buenos Aires is cool, Montevideo offers a slightly chiller version with lots of culture and art and beach.

I think I'm off to Brazil next, for the weekend, for some party, for (what I've been told are) the most beautiful ladies in Brazil. While I'm partial to the Northeast (you know who you are, baby :)) I'm definitly down to scope out the situation. Then I have no idea where to. Paraguay remains unexplored, and after this guay (Uru, that is) I am tempted to check it out. Then maybe Bolivia, maybe.

Buenos noches a todos, hasta la proxima vez,

Sean

ps- tattoos here are like $20 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment