Monday, September 14, 2009

The Pad in Montevideo

Here's a little photo tour of the place I'm living in Montevideo. The cross streets are Calle Andes and Calle Soriano if you wanna google map that biz. Check out the photos of the Plaza Independencia if you do...

The front door opens up onto Calle Andes, just two blocks from the main drag, 18 de Julio. After you climb the marble staircase you arrive in the core of the house beneath a glass roof. Sorry there's no pics of that yet but there will be soon...

This is the living room. We got the sheepskins on the floor, one lightbulb, a bass, an amp, and a digereedoo. Everything you truely need in a living room. Oh, and juggling clubs. When I get back home I'm investing in a set. This is where we all chill out, eat dinner, read, write, what have you.
Toilet flower pot. Very cool.
This is Alvaro. After you walk up the spiral staricase (hells ya) you can continue on up to the roof. Alvaro is a wicked guitarist. Here he gives me a good blessing on my journey to the roof.

Sam's ascent. This rickety ladder could use some help. You pop out of the house onto the roof from here.

This little glass roof thing slides like its big brother that covers what at one time was an open air courtyard in the house. I think its a cute little replica. It stays closed to keep rain out.

This is the view of my roof! How interesting. You can see the big glass roof to the left of Noelia, my Zaragozan friend here in Montevideo.

Palacio Salvo peeks out from behind one of the many 1970 concrete box apartment buildings that provide ample contrast between true beauty and pure ugliness. THis shot was taken as Sam and I were exploring our block by rooftop. We got about five or six buildings out until we hit a dead end. Good fun and a cool perspective.
Coming back down from the roof. If you look in top of this shot you can see the glass roof. Pretty rad. You used to be able to open it from the inside of the house with a hand crank. Today everything is gone. I think the previous tenants were evicted. Everything of any use is gone. No doorknobs, lightbulbs, shutters, toilet seats, nothing. Pretty funny. I hope the place in Vancouver's at least got a toilet seat, lol.

The kitchen. Very small but perfect. We have everything we need to make food to eat. Gas stove kinda worries me when I enter the tiny room and it wreaks of gas like I might get blown up over some spaghetti and tomato sauce.

o this is the front of the house. The middle door is my room (with a balcony, chicka chicka yea). I'll post some more pictures of the guts of the house as I take them. Its a nice place that will someday make a great hostel. That's what Sebastian is trying to do: set up a hostel. Sam and I are just lucky we got in when we did because for the last four days I have been hearing from tons of people here (locals and visitors alike) that they can't find any place to stay. We got the room for 5,000 Uruguayan pesos which works out to about $108 USD for the month. Wicked wicked deal. Right down from the beach, three blocks from the Plaza Independencia, and on a street calm enough to cook asado in the middle of the road on Sundays. I may never leave, hahahaha. Sebastian says when I come back to visit (and next time I'm bringing some of the homies) we are good to crash there. I just can't wait to see it in a few months/years when its spiffed back up. It already vibes, but with some new paint it is going to be amazing.

I'll post some more pictures later of the ranch. Maybe just two a day or something. Let me know if it's too much...

Sean

3 comments:

  1. sweet pics, dude! i miss ya! btw, my mom has a toilet in our garage that she's been saving forever to make into a flower pot! haha - i'm glad to see that at least one other person in the world had the same idea!

    seems like you're having a blast! don't forget about us back in the states!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please show more photos of teh ranch ;)

    ReplyDelete