Monday, September 7, 2009

Wasting Time

Most everyone's going back to school to day. My friends here in Montevideo have all of the sudden disappeared into classrooms at early hours leaving me to do nearly nothing all day in this rain. But I got some good beans to spill :))

A lot has been happening here in the South. I decided to kick it here in Montevideo for probably longer than I should. But who's to say what I should or should not do. What's a good or bad idea. What's too much time or not enough.

The fact is that I just moved into a colonial mansion. Now I could leave it at that, and I really would, only it gets better. It's the same place where that wicked house party took place the other day (look below). There are six of us and soon to be a beautiful seventh. My roomates are as follow:

Alvaro, the guitarist/musician of the house (as if there's only one, HA!) He plays lead guitar in his reggae band, yeah, the same one that played the party. He busted out some Stevie Ray Vaughn shit the other night that blew my mind. Then he started laughin like it aint no thang. He straight tears it up and is always making sure everything is "todo tranqui," (totally chill).

We got Sebastian, the leader of the house. He is a master painter, bassist, and writer. He lives up the spiral staircase with his keyboard and surfboard among other boards. He speaks wicked english and is pretty well known throughout Montevideo. He's got master plans for the house. Tomorrow he wants to bust a hole in the wall, "to let in more light," into the living room. He's also going to be painting the place and preparing it for some hostel-like existence. It sounds fanfreakintastic.

Sebastian's father, Pepe, also resides with us. He is the resident poet, a master of the word, and has inspired me to take up writing poetry in Spanish. It is a challenge I readily accept. I have begun writing but it's hard. I just don't have the same vocabulary in Spanish that affords me the eloquence I so take for granted in English. I spoke to him about getting a weekly poetry session going and he sounded enthusiastic. Aron, if you are reading this (along with any of the other Boys House Poetry Session Readers), thanks for that ;) Anyways, Pepe cooked some guiso (stew) the other night and we had company and we all drank wine and shared music and conversation and were all happy together at once. It's that kind of place.

Luca is the other upstairs homie. He is from Germany and works for some NGO playing with kids and practicing his Spanish. He'll be here for the year.

Sam is my travelling buddy. We met up a week or so ago in Colonia before making the trip to Montevideo. We plan on saying for at least a month but really have no idea.He hooked me up with some NGO work and I actually have to run to a meeting wth the construction team right now. Thank god I'm in South America, I can show up at least an hour late and no one will think anything of it, hahaha.

We got a sweet roof, a balcony overlooking Calle Andes (three blocks from the Plaza Independencia), good company, and a future ahead of us. I head back from Pablo the photographer and hope to help him brush up his website and intern/work with him over the coming month(s). Furthermore I have been hanging out with some semipermenant residents of Che Lagarto, our former hostel, and thoroughly enjoy their company. I have found good inspiration here to write in Spanish and have been getting good practice speaking with a new friend, Noelia, a girl from Zaragoza, España.

Here's a little poem I wrote in Spanish. They will get better, don't worry, hahahaha

Tenía un sueño: tus ojos han visto a mios de verde,
les cambian azul.
Tus labios rojos me tocan suavamente,
tu pelo cayen en tu cara linda.

Off to the meeting. Tomorrow, beer with Pablo. You gotta love how sometimes everything lines up in your life. Literally the other night something AMAZING happened. I'd have to kill you if I told you. But the moral of the story is, the Moon amazes me. When it's full its effects fully feel me and I feel it.

A mi luna, me haces feliz.

Chao for now,

Sean

1 comment:

  1. Cool that you wrote poetry :)))
    I used to write poems at the time that used to draw. A long time ago. Keep it up. Just write and you will see that something beautiful will come.

    ReplyDelete