Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Finally the Taj Love-All's Funkadelic Finale

Over the past six months I have been fortunate enough to live in and out of a house in Vancouver that the world has come to know as the Taj Love-All.

Everyone has been welcomed, the door has always been open, and we tenants always understood from the start that one day the end would come, the building would be demolished and it would be up to us to keep the spirit alive.

I fell pretty safe saying that none of us who lived there knew just how profound of an impact the Taj would have on our community in Vancouver.  The art that has been conceived there, the music that has been written, re-written, and recorded there, the magic that has happened, has blown all of us away.

I remember writing about this place months ago while still in Peru, dreaming of my eventual return to Vancouver and wondering nervously where I'd be living.

I got Gaelen's closet, and for that I am eternally grateful.  I'd like to think that some of Sam and Will's wisdom rubbed off on me as I lived with them for a few months on and off before heading to Whistler, and then back to Seattle, returning all too often to interrupt their productive academic careers.  Charles and I wandered around in our heads and everyone painted pictures and played music daily.  I experienced some of the best growth in my creative career there.  And this, after one of my best adventures to date in South America.

At times I felt as though I was stalling.
Now I know I wasn't, I was just soaking it all in.

I got the chance to surprise the boys a couple times last week, dropping into Vancouver for some poetry on Wednesday and then for the grand Funkadelic Finale on Saturday.  The last dance for the Taj.  It couldn't have been better.

Here are a few shots of the place at the end of it's existence.

It has been a trip and a half.  We lived the dream.
We still do, don't forget that.
We threw some epic parties.
We all enjoyed ourselves and each-other.
I await the day when I can call another place with such spectacular energy, "home".

I can't wait til someday I can throw parties like we did.
And I'll invite you all, just like we used to at the Taj.

The door will forever be open.
More stories wait to be written.


"Mother Music"
by Ciann Lochlainn

Beer.
Always somewhere in the house.
This time in Granville Island
Keg form
:)

Photo by Alban DeGrully


Alban picks the perfect parking spot
A day for adventure in Van

I posted a picture of this sign board a while back.
It always says the most motivating things.
"Don't wait to have a good day- make one"


And the blueprints for the "Proposed Residence at West 51st Ave and Marguerite St."
RIP Taj-Loveall
We love it all.

The last week has been a busy one for me.
The art show that the house turned into was wildly successful and I'm glad I got to check it out.
Lots of good stuff from local artists.
Can't wait to have another one.
It is up to us to keep this community alive.

I think we're up to the task.

To all my roommates at the Taj, I love you all.
Thank you for some of the best times of my life.
Thank you for the endless inspiration and guidance.

To all others who know of the Taj, keep it close to your heart.
It is a very special place, with very special people.
You are one of them.

More goodness to come,

Sean

1 comment:

  1. sean, what a pleasure and an honour to share that home of homes with you. well written, and great photos. what a bash.

    ReplyDelete