Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Film Scans So Delicious

So I have a Holga 120N.  It's pink but I spraypainted it black and gold and baby blue.  Just using up some ends of cans. People always ask me, "Sean, you're not a hipster.  So why do you carry around a Holga?  Does the thing really even work!?"  You're probably wondering, "Sean, what the heck do hipsters have to do with anything."  I don't know myself.  Apparently some people accessorize themselves with broken cameras to boost their image.  I'm not, well, a hipster.  Furthermore my not being a hipster probably has a lot to do with the fact that the thing actually works.  Why the hell would I carry it if it didn't, right?

So here are some photos for the kids with iPhone apps that hipsterize photos some photographers actually compose and click and develop and scan sometimes print for simple satisfaction.
Here are some photos for the diehard hipster: true analog 120mm film.
Cellulose, plastic, emulsified, color dyed, raw shit.
Here are some photos for people that just like to look at pretty things.
Those people are important

Here's for the guy who wanted to buy my camera on the back of the bus, the girl who sold it to me (thanks!), James Cheatley for inspiring me to get back into film, all the homies who have posed for longer than they expected while sizing up shots.  Here's to tripods, long shutters, trips when I don't have to care about wrecking a more expensive camera, and sneaking into concerts ('band photographer," duh)

To all the other photographers out there still rocking the real shit:
It isn't always as easy as your pretty end picture suggests.
But it sure is a pretty picture.

For all those of you out there doing it
(whatever that may be)
I do it for you.

$3.50 for a roll isn't bad for 12 shots,
but it's more expensive than digital.
Even so, film has the feel
the focus
the fashion
the funkiness;
the luck it takes for a one in a million shot happens with Holgas
and other cameras you have to spend time with
developing your own eye to capture just one particular moment in time.

These days we digitally dumb ourselves down.
Compromising composition for compensation.
Fixing photos on photoshop after the fact
flicking flash after flash after flash
clicking
click click click
click at one thousandth a second
taking millions
to end up with
one.

I guess what I'm saying is a picture is just a picture no matter how you take it.

It's only cool if it's cool.

If it looks good
it probably
looks good.

Twelve shots on a roll of 120
 I have scanned something like six
so dipping from seventy-two,
here are three photos
for you
:)


I give you:


Girls and Tents (!!)
Sasquatch Music Festival
George, Washington


La Luz y El Cielo
Light and Sky
Lamp at the Taj Love-All
Vancouver, BC


Sea to Sky Sideways
"Autumn is coming" I heard the wind whisper to me
whilst mist spit before the sun rose in the morning.
I'll be back up to Whistler in no time.
Summer's not over by any means,
but I found this shot of highway 99 and had to post it
:)

There are some really cool shots on OneMonthOneRoll.com/  Check that ish ouuttt!!  Gud stuff from people I've (for the most part) never met.  Better stuff from the people I have :)


And now a preview of whats to come on el blogo...starting with some mundane shit.
 US Postal Service trunks on my way to Seatac airport from the new light-rail.
Isn't real life just the best :)
haha

Seattle, WA

And one from downtown Montevideo, Uruguay since I've been dreaming of South America the past couple nights...
The travel bug has been makin' me itch lately.  I like to be outside and moving.  Experiencing new things and seeing new places.  I gotta get back to work.  Get paid.  Run away.  More on that another day...

Time for bed :)

Rest easy,

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment