Wednesday, August 5, 2009

American Music

I like music a lot. I play it, I listen to it, I write it. I love it. So naturally when I travel I love to hear what the folks are tuning into to. Of course theres the surplus of cast off American pop songs that make their way this far south, but for the most part the popular music down here is far from the diversity of the American mass music industry. As much as I dislike pop music, I've come to appreciate (not like) the amazing diversity of it. If you think it all sounds the same, I can assure you, nothing sounds all the same so much as the endless cumbia, reggaeton, salsa, or merengue music that blasts 24 hours down here in South America. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the beats, but they are all the same. Every song has a token 2/3 count with a boom boom bah, buh-boom boom bah rythmn. If you don't believe me check out this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=159MeZnkn2E&feature=related Now, this is a song that gets played nearly twice an hour in Peru, significaantly less so down here in Argentina, but still tortures my ears after one listen. Its usually followed by something like this, just to change it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQjgBFJ4CE Yes, the dudes name is MC NIGGA. I don't make this shit up. He is topping the charts right now with this song, "Te Amo" which blares in dancehalls all accross the continent. Note the same beat in both these songs. Now check out this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFaaEU8Yuw&feature=related That is the SAME DAMNED BEAT!! This time from cross cultural sensation Daddy Yankee who has, from time to time, graced even the airwaves of the goood ol Estados Unidos. Not to hate (too much) on the tunes down ehre, but a little variety does the soul good. I know I just generalized a ton of music in three songs, but I don't have time to list a ton more.

On the ranch, the gauchos listen to musica folklorica. Accordian, guitar, violin, and some singing (usually). The music is pretty badass when you consider the listening audience. I mean cowboys back home listen to some shitty music, no offense. The guys down here are ballin to accordian and guitar duos or trios which, inbetween local radio station shoutouts (which sometimes last five minutes and often include more than a few varied renditions of happy birthday), play all day and night long as the men sit sipping their mate. Wikipedia gaucho or musica folklorica for more info than you ever wanted to know :))) gotta love wiki

For now, I'm off to get a sanduche before this entire town shuts down around 12pm for siesta until 3pm. Leave comments if you have anything you want me to blog about or want to rant at my overgeneralization of south american music. Don't worry I'm prepared. But GOD LOVE ROCK AND ROLL!! I miss it mucho.

Hope I don't have to walk back to the ranch...

Sean

1 comment:

  1. Saludo
    Yo leia tu blog por el verano, y te quice dire que me encanta mucho.
    The pacific northwest is crying big raindrops in your absence. I think it misses you.
    Buena suerte con sus aventuras, vato. Estoy pensando de ti. Shred the Chilean pow with gusto. Hasta.

    ReplyDelete