Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Muck fe I got robbed

Who wouldn't want tickets to the biggest futbol game this year? An epic matchup between arch rivals Argentina and Uruguay, played here in Montevideo tonight at 8pm. So I was walking along the Rambla towards Pocitos on a wonderfully sunny day with a new friend when a man who I'd met a couple weeks ago noticed we were speaking English and piped in. We had just passed a sign inviting Montevideans to be nice to tourists. The sign reads "1 turista, 1 amigo." The guy's wearing gold rimmed sunglasses and doesn't take them off. He somehow seems friendly enough, but I should have known from his New York Yankees hat that he couldn't be trusted. He speaks English and Italian, my friend does too. Everything seemed cool. He mentions casually that he's on his way to buy tickets to the big game. I thought the tickets were sold out and he confirms this. Abitab (the legit seller of tickets) is out and he's on his way to his buddy's house to pick up some tickets for himself. I ask if his buddy has anymore and he says he'll call. He tell his friend that his brother (me) and sister (Irene) just came in from Buenos Aires and want tickets and after some banter we seem to be getting some numbered seats for the game. We get to the the building and he tells us to wait outside. He has to go into the office for a second and since reselling tix is illegal he thinks its best for us to chill outside. Now I don't know this dude's name, don't have his phone, no nothing. I am used to having good luck and encoutering friendly people, such as this guy, so I have no qualms handing over 1,000 pesos for two tickets. Irene thinks different but we still let him wander into the building. "Two minutes," he says.

HAHAhahaha.

Two hours later. Our eyes had been on the door the entire time. Eventually Irene had to go to work so Sam came to give me some backup and we go looking for this shady fucker. Of course the building has a million exits. He probably went in one door and out another.

Knowing how small Montevideo is and that I've already run into him at least once before I have full confidence that this dude's time will come. Like next time I spot him I am going to follow him until I can properly attack him and take my shit back. Hopefully Sam will be there so we can pin him down and leave him with nothing but his shoelaces holding his hand behind his back, his pants on his head, and his belt in his mouth. I hate being tricked. I hate feeling like an idiot. But an idiot I am for this one.

All in all I must say karma is a wonderful cycle. Remember that thousand pesos I found on the floor of the hot dog stand a week back? Ya, I put that back into circulation. I figure you gotta give back somehow...

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment